Giuseppe Cirino, PhD FBPharmacolS
Prof. Ordinario Farmacologia
Preside Facoltà Farmacia
Dipartimento di Farmacologia Sperimentale,
Università di Napoli Federico II,
Via Domenico Montesano 49
Tel: +39 081-679934; +39081-678102
Fax: +39 081-678107-403
Dr. Cirino's research focuses on cardiovascular pharmacology and immunopharmacology. He is involved in the design, synthesis and pharmacological characterization of novel gasotransmitter-releasing molecules in vitro and in vivo. He also studies the role of H2S in the pathogenesis and vascular complications of diabetes and other vascular diseases. He is a leading expert in erectile dysfunction and is working to improve our understanding of the role of NO and H2S, and their interactions in this condition.
Selected Recent Publications
- d'Emmanuele di Villa Bianca R, Sorrentino R, Mirone V, Cirino G. Hydrogen sulfide and erectile function: a novel therapeutic target. Nat Rev Urol. 2011; 8:286-9.
- Caliendo G, Cirino G, Santagada V, Wallace JL. Synthesis and biological effects of hydrogen sulfide (H2S): development of H2S-releasing drugs as pharmaceuticals. J Med Chem. 2010; 53:6275-86.
- Wallace JL, Caliendo G, Santagada V, Cirino G. Markedly reduced toxicity of a hydrogen sulphide-releasing derivative of naproxen (ATB-346). Br J Pharmacol. 2010; 159:1236-46.
- d'Emmanuele di Villa Bianca R, Sorrentino R, Maffia P, Mirone V, Imbimbo C, Fusco F, De Palma R, Ignarro LJ, Cirino G. Hydrogen sulfide as a mediator of human corpus cavernosum smooth-muscle relaxation. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2009;106:4513-8
- Bucci M, Mirone V, Di Lorenzo A, Vellecco V, Roviezzo F, Brancaleone V, Ciro I, Cirino G. Hydrogen sulphide is involved in testosterone vascular effect. Eur Urol. 2009; 56:378-83.